Tuesday, March 24, 2009

ouch

People make fun of me because of how cautious I am. Please note, I'm lots better than I used to be, and take more risks now.

However

Given the rate at which I hurt myself now, despite being careful, I can only imagine (and shudder at) how often I'd be injured and how large my ER bill would be if I was less careful. I'm just too accident-prone; I even wrote a poem as a freshman in college about how accident-prone I was.

Usually it's just bruises and bumps of whose origin I haven't got the foggiest (e.g., Africa). Others, I know exactly what happened (e.g., Humphrey and Morpheus). Often, it's walking into a door frame or skinning my knuckles on the cheese grater or smacking my head on a cabinet. Sometimes it's just weird...like the iron imprinted onto my arm, or the scars from a lizard biting me. Yesterday's less-than-intelligent case in point: I sa-MASHED my thumb opening our living room window (it's hard to explain how without a visual of the window; just know it took a pretty hard pinch/hit, enough to put an ice pack on it). I'd probably have broken it had I hit it nearer to the joint. It hurts a lot now (and has already started turning pretty colors, that will likely be a rainbow in a week or so).

Anyway, you can make fun of me for being cautious if you want - but I've got reason.

1 comment:

l e i g h c i a said...

I sympatheize. I smashed my face into a parking meter this morning while walking to work....