Friday, March 13, 2009

art intersecting life

Sometimes art captures life better than I can. Here's what I've been dwelling with lately. All are YouTube links because it's just easier and openly accessible.


"Resistor", by Brave Saint Saturn

Of late, this song has been a cautionary tale about where I might end up if I try to do everything myself, a truthful depiction of where I feel like things often are here, but also a reassuring picture of the community around me.


"The Guy That Says Goodbye to You" by Griffin House

A dear friend sent this to me a couple weeks ago, after hearing about some things that happened in February. I'm used to getting this sentiment as reassurance from friends (the standard "he doesn't know what he's missing, you're great", etc. etc. - clearly that never sunk in for me as something I believed). It's something I've struggled with even believing for God's view of me. But somehow...somehow...the chorus of this song finally drove it heart-home. Helped a lot that week.


"I Remember" by Griffin House

I started listening to more of Griffin House's music, and I really really like it. This one just kinda captures how torn I feel between honoring the men who have fought and are fighting and are laying down their lives to protect me, and what Christ would think of war.


"The Mollusk" by Ween

Ok, this is not a song I resonate with. But my officemate showed it to me and, surprise, I liked it a lot. Too bad there aren't more songs about mollusks.

As for how life is...February was rough. I'm glad it's over. And next week is spring break - no homework due!! WUHOO!

No comments: